We are a rapidly developing global business with complex operations and we remain committed to achieving high standards in corporate governance.
Our attitude to governance is summed up in three key objectives:
- Support a performance-driven global business that’s focused on growth
- Maximise our operational flexibility by promoting a ‘light touch’ central management approach that empowers individuals at local level
- To promote transparency and accountability in all aspects of our operations
We manage more than 8,250 employees in 48 countries through a network of continental offices. We empower local employees to run our businesses at ground level because they understand the issues that we face together with our customers.
We give our regional managers the flexibility to respond directly to customers and stakeholders, but balance this with rigorous oversight, provided by effective information systems, comprehensive reporting and close internal audit of our operations.
While most commercial and operational decisions are made regionally or locally, key strategic direction is centralised. Short reporting lines support a dynamic culture and swift decision-making because all employees are clear about their roles and responsibilities, thanks to the use of Delegation of Authority documentation. Clarity also promotes transparency, making it more unlikely that unsafe commercial practices can develop or take root.
We have appointed the following committees to ensure the smooth and effective running of our business:
- Audit Committee
- Ethics and Compliance Committee
- Finance Committee
- Health, Safety, Environment and Community Committee.
These committees meet at least twice per year.